About Me

My photo
An individual, of no great importance, who is unable to see the natural world as a place for competition. I catch fish, watch birds, derive immense pleasure from simply looking at butterflies, moths, bumble-bees, etc - without the need for rules! I am Dylan and this is my blog - if my opinions offend? Don't bother logging on again - simple!

Thursday 1 April 2021

One year into my adventure

 If it hadn't been for the situation created by the pandemic, I'm not too sure that the garden hedgehogs would have played any part in my life? Encounters with nocturnal creatures, by habit, are not particularly suited to the regular daylight routines that an average guy undertakes. All I can say is that I will remain eternally grateful to Julie & Gary Pearse for their advice and encouragement when I embarked upon this venture.


It's Tesco Kitten biscuits every time

I will be cleaning out the "Hedgehog Hilton" over this Easter weekend and have plans to build a couple more after I've retired (just a week to go!). I want one more for our garden and will gift the other one to the grand-kids up in Newington. There have been several individuals coming to the feeding station already this year, with one particularly large animal dwarfing the others. They all seem to be in good condition and are consuming large amounts of Tesco kitten biscuits. Bev and I were in B&M's a few days ago and I stumbled upon a box of Purina "Go Cat" Kitten Biscuits and though "why not?" The first couple of nights I put out a mix of both brands but, then decided to see if there was a preference? Tesco win this battle hands down. I'm sure a starving hedgehog would be only too pleased to stumble across a dish of "Go Cat" offerings. West Dumpton hedgehogs are far more discerning - spoilt little sods!

No comments:

Post a Comment

One year into my adventure

 If it hadn't been for the situation created by the pandemic, I'm not too sure that the garden hedgehogs would have played any part ...