About Me

An individual, of no great importance, who is unable to see the natural world as a place for competition. I catch fish, watch birds, derive immense pleasure from simply looking at butterflies, moths, bumble-bees, etc - without the need for rules! I am Dylan and this is my blog - if my opinions offend? Don't bother logging on again - simple!

Saturday 26 September 2020

Watch, listen & learn

 Each night I set up my feeding station just a couple of metres away from my study doorway. Weather permitting, I am able to leave the door wide open and, whilst sitting at my laptop perusing the news and natural history websites that form my regular internet entertainment, listen out for the visitors. The noise a hedgehog makes, just crunching on the kitten biscuits, is astonishing. When two animals get involved in a spat the range of assorted grunts and snuffles is extraordinary. With my camera, pre-set, mounted on the tripod, I am easily able to move from the laptop to grab my photos whenever a visitor announces its' arrival.


Sitting behind the long lens, waiting for the next image to present itself, I have been able to witness some very interesting interaction between several individuals. Each animal has character and distinctive markings which become more obvious the longer I spend watching them. Three hedgehogs make up the bulk of the regular sightings, almost always it's one of this trio that first to come to the food whatever time I manage to get it out, usually within ten minutes! The general consensus is that hedgehogs which tolerate each other are siblings and I am unable to offer any evidence to say different. However, what I have noted is that size is not everything. There is one, particularly feisty, animal which, is quite happy to challenge much larger hedgehogs should they attempt to take control of the food bowl. 



To see a hedgehog tense up, spines raised, whilst emitting some vocal protest is a sure sign that another is in close proximity. Quite often the arriving visitor will also offer some audible notification of its' presence, well before it arrives at the food and water. One of the biggest surprises is just how quickly they are able to move, they are really fast when they need to be.

The animal at the front is registering its' disapproval as another hedgehog arrives 
at the feeding station.

It is a continuous journey of discovery and joy being able to spend my time with these superb garden visitors. Not too sure how many more weeks before they disappear for the hibernation period but, until then I hope for many more opportunities to learn about the social interactions of these fascinating animals.







No comments:

Post a Comment

One year into my adventure

 If it hadn't been for the situation created by the pandemic, I'm not too sure that the garden hedgehogs would have played any part ...