About Me

An individual, of no great importance, who is unable to see the natural world as a place for competition. I catch fish, watch birds, derive immense pleasure from simply looking at butterflies, moths, bumble-bees, etc - without the need for rules! I am Dylan and this is my blog - if my opinions offend? Don't bother logging on again - simple!

Saturday 19 September 2020

The support network

 As I stated, at the end of my last post, I contacted The Hedgehog Preservation Society, in the hope of getting some clarity about the marking of wild hedgehogs and if there is any correlated central database which benefited from the practice? I got an wonderfully swift reply from Nicky Rowberry who explained the situation and, better still, pointed me in the direction of Hedgehog Street where my own sightings can be of assistance to those who use this data to promote the welfare of these fantastic animals. What is mind-blowingly obvious is that hedgehogs don't have the same legal status as all UK bird species. It seems that no license is required to mark these wild animals, nor any legal requirement to register such activity. All very strange when viewed from the outside. 


New bowl? No problem!

It was another great night around the feeding station, on Thursday, with three different animals turning up between 21.30 & 23.00 hrs. Bev had been across to The Range and purchased me a larger bowl to use for the dry food. I was a little worried that it might be too high; shouldn't have been! One thing's for certain, they won't be able to to tip this one up.



Further exploration of the internet has resulted in me (& Bev) becoming a "Hedgehog Champion" and enrolling into the scheme. Not overly sure as to what we'll be able to offer beyond another statistic on their list, but it will enable us to access even more helpful advice? Apparently our registration was number 84,650 on the list - that's a lot of hedgehog fans out there in UK cyber space. As Tesco, quite rightly, pointed out during their advertising campaign "Every little helps" and that's exactly how I see my involvement/support. 


In the spirit of Hedgehog Street I will do my best to encourage my neighbours to use their gardens in a hedgehog friendly manner. They already think I'm a raving nut-nut with my mothing, birding and butterfly antics. Cut a hole in your garden fence - yeah that'll work - NOT!!!!! Fortunately, the adjacent gardens also have the Newlands Farm fields as their backdrop and, as such, the local hedgehogs will have little problem accessing any garden they chose and to be honest, there's no real reason why the animals can't enter from the front of the properties? We certainly have hedgehogs using the shared drive between our, and the neighbour's, bungalows as Bev & I witnessed recently whilst putting out the recycling bin. 




There are no limits to where this project takes me. The undeniable joy of watching these animals up close, without any negative impact, is a real privilege. With the prospect of another lockdown period becoming more likely as the Covid virus embarks on a second wave, there are several things that I'd like to attempt if time is available yet travel restricted. I'll be loading the van with some scrap pallets when I get back into work on Monday afternoon. Another Hedgehog Hilton is one desire, but making some nest boxes for the garden birds also high on the agenda.




No comments:

Post a Comment

One year into my adventure

 If it hadn't been for the situation created by the pandemic, I'm not too sure that the garden hedgehogs would have played any part ...