About Me

An individual, of no great importance, who is unable to see the natural world as a place for competition. I catch fish, watch birds, derive immense pleasure from simply looking at butterflies, moths, bumble-bees, etc - without the need for rules! I am Dylan and this is my blog - if my opinions offend? Don't bother logging on again - simple!

Thursday 17 September 2020

Data correlation

 It was back in April when I photographed the first, of what I now know to be, colour marked hedgehog in the garden. Not having any idea of what I was looking at, I dismissed these aberrations as naturally occurring discolouration of their spines, and happily used these distinctive patterns as a method of identifying the individual animals coming to the feeding station. Six months down the road and I now find myself asking very serious questions about the practice of marking. What opportunities are being missed by not having a central database by which such sightings can be registered, thus allowing a greater insight into the population status and distribution of these fabulous creatures?

For what purpose was this animal marked?
With no central database, my sighting adds nothing to the collective understanding of
the current population status around Thanet (Kent in the bigger picture!)

Having arrived at this garden hedgehog project via my lifelong obsession with all things to do with wildlife, I am very aware of the huge scientific benefit that is a direct result of community science. The data collection gleaned from the everyday sightings of the man on the street. I think that the RSPB Garden Birdwatch is probably the best example, yet will readily admit to an admiration (and involvement in) for the various colour ringing schemes used to study the population dynamics of many bird species, under the umbrella of the British Trust for Ornithology (BTO) by which members of the public can get involved with data collection which has real scientific value.



I've sent an email to the Hedgehog Preservation Society, asking for clarification about the situation; who correlates these marking schemes and for what purpose? It will be very interesting to read their response.


No comments:

Post a Comment

One year into my adventure

 If it hadn't been for the situation created by the pandemic, I'm not too sure that the garden hedgehogs would have played any part ...