About Me

An individual, of no great importance, who is unable to see the natural world as a place for competition. I catch fish, watch birds, derive immense pleasure from simply looking at butterflies, moths, bumble-bees, etc - without the need for rules! I am Dylan and this is my blog - if my opinions offend? Don't bother logging on again - simple!

Tuesday 15 September 2020

Tips, tricks and handy hints

 It would be ridiculous to ignore the huge resource that is available due to the wonders of "Google" and associated internet links. Via this cyber library my new found enthusiasm, for these nocturnal visitors, is amply catered for with a simple tap on a link. It opens up massive opportunity to discover how other, like minded, souls are catering for their own garden hedgehogs and, as a newbie to the caper, gives me great insight into how I can hone my own efforts.

What it looks like in September, having been weathered for a while.

This project didn't really get going until late April due to my employment situation. The very start of lockdown being a time when work was still extremely busy and, as within the chemical manufacturing industry, deemed essential? I make ink for f*cks sake! Obviously, at the outset, my priority had to be establishing a feeding station but, having perused the Wildlife Trusts website I wanted to also provide a hedgehog house within the garden boundaries. Under no circumstances could I describe myself as a "handyman" yet by following the very basic template was able to construct a wooden box, with a tunnel entrance ramp, which is perfectly suited for the purpose intended.


A shot from May when the "Hedgehog Hilton" was first placed in the garden.

I was to be furloughed for a total of seven weeks, out of sixteen, before work got back to some type of normality and, alongside the BWKm0 garden bird watching challenge, it was spending time watching the antics of the garden hedgehogs which kept me sane. Just to know that these animals were still present within the West Dumpton area was a real thrill yet, it was only once I'd started to photograph the visitors to my "al fresco" feeding station did I begin to realise just how many individuals were involved.


Drinking water is just as important as the provision of food, especially during dry periods, as 
we've been experiencing lately. To be fair, it's just the same as feeding the birds!

Right from the off I have to say a massive thanks to Cathy Newbury, over at Maxim's Pet Shop, who was able to supply me with "Spike's" commercially produced hedgehog food. I'm a regular customer there, buying my aviary bird food plus hemp & pigeon tonic seed to make my particle mix for carp fishing. My wife, Bev, has also enjoyed the fact that we're once again hosting hedgehogs in the garden and it was on a visit to "The Range" that she purchased some cheap (4 / £20) solar powered "rock lamps" which I now use to illuminate the bowls containing food and water, thus assisting my photographic efforts. The light given off by the devices is very subdued, causing no issues with the animal's feeding behaviour, yet is enough to allow me to compose, and focus, my image before firing off a shot.


All I can say is how extraordinarily grateful I am to all those bloggers and website owners who are prepared to offer such fantastic advice via the cyber system. If it's "Tips, tricks and handy hints" you're looking for, the internet is where to find them. Thanks for visiting; 'til next time - take care & stay safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment

One year into my adventure

 If it hadn't been for the situation created by the pandemic, I'm not too sure that the garden hedgehogs would have played any part ...