About Me

An individual, of no great importance, who is unable to see the natural world as a place for competition. I catch fish, watch birds, derive immense pleasure from simply looking at butterflies, moths, bumble-bees, etc - without the need for rules! I am Dylan and this is my blog - if my opinions offend? Don't bother logging on again - simple!

Sunday 25 October 2020

Little things

 I'm finding it difficult to produce regular content for this venture, purely because there are only so many images of hedgehogs eating from a bowl that can be used before they become boring? The animals continue to visit our garden on a nightly basis and are eating increasing amounts as the need to build up fat reserves becomes ever more important; prior to hibernation. 500 grms of Tesco Kitten biscuits last just three nights, topped up with a sprinkling of "Spike's" semi-moist hedgehog food. Most mornings the bowl is empty yet, on the odd occasion it is not, the local Herring Gulls and Magpies soon finish off the remnants.



One real highlight has been the sighting of a very young animal which has started to visit us. I'd checked with Hedgehog Street to see if this was an unusual situation but, was reassured to learn that it was not. All I needed to do is ensure that the animal weighs more than 500 grms, thus having the best chance of surviving a period of hibernation. So with this in mind I caught it, on Thursday night, and after showing it to Bev, was able to confirm that it did, indeed, weigh over this mark. It is in fine health and sped off into the darkness when released. I was worried that I might have frightened it away? Shouldn't have been as it was back at the food bowl within an hour!



It will be interesting to see how long these creatures continue to use the feeding station prior to their "long sleep". It won't be any hardship putting out the food even if all that eats it is the gulls and Magpies!

No comments:

Post a Comment

One year into my adventure

 If it hadn't been for the situation created by the pandemic, I'm not too sure that the garden hedgehogs would have played any part ...