About Me

My photo
An individual, of no great importance, who is unable to see the natural world as a place for competition. I catch fish, watch birds, derive immense pleasure from simply looking at butterflies, moths, bumble-bees, etc - without the need for rules! I am Dylan and this is my blog - if my opinions offend? Don't bother logging on again - simple!

Wednesday 17 February 2021

Back in business

 I'd not seen a hedgehog at the feeding station since 12th January which means very little beyond the fact that I have to actually see the animals as I don't use a trail-cam recording system. The ridiculous conditions which resulted after the passage of Storm Darcy, over Thanet, would certainly be a factor in why a February sighting hadn't occurred until after the snow had gone. 


No hedgehogs - funny that? Storm Darcy visits Thanet.

I set up the feeding station on Monday night (15th Feb) and put out a small amount of the usual Tesco Kitten biscuits and a bowl of water. Absolutely nothing happened, I brought the food bowl back indoors at 05.30 hrs, on Tuesday morning, completely untouched. Undeterred, I repeated to process on Tuesday evening, post work, and was just about ready for kip (21.30 hrs) when I spotted the first visitor of February. I quickly summonsed Bev before grabbing the camera kit and slowly opening the study door. I managed to grab two shots before the animal scuttled away, "exit stage right"


With such a characterful face pattern this individual should be easily recognised if
it returns to the feeding station.

I went to kip well pleased with my sighting and feel sure that the hedgehog will have returned because the bowl was completely empty when I checked this morning (05.00 hrs) A hedgehog photo in every month of 2021 certainly looks a possibility now this image has been secured.

No comments:

Post a Comment

One year into my adventure

 If it hadn't been for the situation created by the pandemic, I'm not too sure that the garden hedgehogs would have played any part ...