About Me

An individual, of no great importance, who is unable to see the natural world as a place for competition. I catch fish, watch birds, derive immense pleasure from simply looking at butterflies, moths, bumble-bees, etc - without the need for rules! I am Dylan and this is my blog - if my opinions offend? Don't bother logging on again - simple!

Saturday 6 February 2021

Garden stuff - no hedgehogs

 I've not seen a hedgehog at our garden feeding station since 12th January. What I need to explain is that I don't own a "trail cam" system, therefore I can only record those animals which I actually see from my study doorway. The food bowl has remained untouched, on many occasions, but there have been other mornings when I've discovered the offerings gone, or certainly very diminished, therefore eaten by something during the hours of darkness. Foxes, cats, brown rats or hedgehogs? I can but speculate as to what is visiting whilst I'm not looking. During this latest lockdown period the garden has been central to all my wildlife observations. The RSPB "Big Garden Bird Watch" providing plenty of opportunity to enjoy the other garden visitors. Birds have been the mainstay of my interest in natural history since the early 1960's and these current restrictions just help me appreciate the diversity of species which can be seen in, and around, the garden. Dumpton ain't the first place you'd think about when picking a wildlife hot-spot, but twenty years of looking have proven it to be a hidden gem? All of the following images have been taken whilst standing in the back garden!








No comments:

Post a Comment

One year into my adventure

 If it hadn't been for the situation created by the pandemic, I'm not too sure that the garden hedgehogs would have played any part ...