About Me

An individual, of no great importance, who is unable to see the natural world as a place for competition. I catch fish, watch birds, derive immense pleasure from simply looking at butterflies, moths, bumble-bees, etc - without the need for rules! I am Dylan and this is my blog - if my opinions offend? Don't bother logging on again - simple!

Friday 1 January 2021

Happy New Year

 Well, I didn't have to wait long for the first hedgehog sighting of 2021. At 00.38 hrs I managed to photograph a youngster at the feeding station and my journey of personal discovery continues to provide much food for thought. The temperature was barely above zero, yet the animal was active and in no way lethargic. I've now received a few comments, on my main blog, about hedgehog hibernation being down to a lack of food. Therefore, the animals will hibernate rather than waste energy and effort if food is scarce, however, will remain active if a reliable source is available. It would make sense and is certainly backed up by my own garden experiences. 



For 2021 I am thinking of broadening the scope of this blog to include other wildlife I encounter in and around the garden. I'll still keep regular hedgehog news as the focus but, having enjoyed such a fantastic period for local wildlife, since the original "lockdown" of March 2020, will share some of the other experiences I have during the coming months.

No comments:

Post a Comment

One year into my adventure

 If it hadn't been for the situation created by the pandemic, I'm not too sure that the garden hedgehogs would have played any part ...