About Me

An individual, of no great importance, who is unable to see the natural world as a place for competition. I catch fish, watch birds, derive immense pleasure from simply looking at butterflies, moths, bumble-bees, etc - without the need for rules! I am Dylan and this is my blog - if my opinions offend? Don't bother logging on again - simple!

Saturday 7 November 2020

Something I'd not considered

When Bev and I signed up to be "Hedgehog Champions" it was because we hoped to assist the cause and raise awareness, within our neighbourhood, of the plight of these native animals. What I'd overlooked was the fact that many of my neighbours are dog owners. So there I am, extolling the wonder and joy derived from having these creatures visiting my garden whilst all my neighbours see is increasing vet's bills as their pets get infested with fleas!!! Can't say that I've seen too much about this aspect of hedgehog promotion within the Hedgehog Street network. Surely there is a very simple solution to this issue? I cannot believe that our situation is unique, given the number of dog owners. How does one promote hedgehog empathy when their parasites are such a negative sales pitch? 



Now I've discovered the joy of garden hedgehogs there can be no going back. What is really worrying me is the undeniable spin off from encouraging these wild animals to share our space when the dog owners suffer, financially, thus can't buy into this conservation project.  Hedgehog Street - "Dogs not allowed" - don't think that it will catch on?

No comments:

Post a Comment

One year into my adventure

 If it hadn't been for the situation created by the pandemic, I'm not too sure that the garden hedgehogs would have played any part ...